Monday, January 26, 2009

Tyrik Rollison...

There's a lot of talk right now about Auburn quarterback (commit?) Tyrik Rollison, one of the nation's top high school quarterback prospects for this year - depending on which service you look at. He hasn't technically committed, but word out of other committed prospects who were there with him on his visit this weekend is that he is going to commit before he leaves today.

Anyway, they say this kid is a sign-and-place type guy and that he almost definitely will not qualify. Well, I just watched a video on YouTube of him being interviewed and he is surprisingly well-spoken. That leads me to believe that his intelligence might be underrated. What does this mean for AU? I suspect it means someone is going to have to teach him how to study and be diligent in the classroom. And that usually happens at a place like Hargrave Military JUCO.

I'd say one year there would straighten him out and get him to Auburn, where I believe he could be a really good player and an early starter (of course, he'll have some stiff competition). 

I think his style of play really fits well into the spread. He actually reminds me a lot of Jason Campbell his senior year, in that he is very good at getting the ball to the playmakers around him. Beyond that, he can run much better than Campbell could. 

Ultimately what I'm trying to say is that regardless of what is said about him, I think he's a great catch and he brings a lot of credibility to this coaching staff and to this recruiting class. Landing guys like him will help Auburn land better players.

No comments: