Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bryce Brown

Rumors are flying around that running back Bryce Brown, widely considered the No. 1 high school prospect in the country, is considering an official visit to Auburn.

Whether or not this is true, I don't know. But here are some things to think about:

He is considered a bigtime every down back who carries the offense on his shoulders. Does that sound like a good fit for a team in the process of converting to a form of the spread? I don't think so. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm would love to have him. In fact, I think he may be the best pure running back since Adrian Peterson in 2003. But the knock on Brown is his hands and apparently he's also a straight-ahead runner. To my knowledge, that's not really the type of back that thrives in Gus Malzahn's system.

Also, he's currently committed to Miami. And guess what.. his older brother Arthur plays middle linebacker for the Hurricanes. Word is that his commitment is hinging on who they bring in as the new OC to replace Patrick Nix, but who knows.. All in all, I believe it's like this: no matter how soft his pledge to them seems to be, I doubt he will end up anywhere else in the end. 

Remember Eric Berry a couple years ago? He seemed poised to commit to Auburn, but in the end his family ties with the Vols won and he committed to Tennessee. 

No comments: