Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Atlanta Braves...

So the rumor is that Ken Griffey Jr. has agreed to sign a one-year deal with the Atlanta Braves. Before I get started, let me tell you something about me and the Braves: we go way back and I love them.

I remember back in 1991 when they went worst-to-first to win the pennant. Back when David Justice, Ron Gant and Otis Nixon anchored the outfield, Terry Pendleton was at the hot corner, Jeff Blauser and Mark Lemke up the middle and Sid Bream on first. Greg Olsen was behind the plate and Steve Avery, John Smoltz and Tom Glavine were the aces on the mound. Man, those were great years. I'll never forget watching Francisco Cabrerra hit the line drive into left field with Bream racing around third to beat the throw to the plate, then watching the team eventually lose in the playoffs - but it didn't matter because we were happy just making the playoffs.

Then in 1994, when Griffey was on-pace to shatter the single-season homerun record until the strike. I remember watching the Braves that year, wishing we could land a star like him.

Then in 1995, Chipper Jones was young and awesome, and so was Andruw Jones. They brought the star-power I was looking for. I'll absolutely never forget watching the Braves in the World Series. I was at a friend of mine's house named Jeff Fields for a Halloween party when Justice hit the go-ahead homerun, followed shortly thereafter by the Braves claiming the World Title. That day will always mean something a little extra to me because only a few years later, my friend Jeff died in a car accident. Halloween night was the last time we hung out outside of playing baseball together.

Anyway, SNAP BACK TO REALITY. 

So the Braves are going to sign Griffey. I love it, but I think it may be a few years too late. I think we're talking about the best pure baseball player to EVER play the game. This guy has 600 homeruns and hasn't played a complete season in ten years. And he's done it the right way with NO STEROIDS. Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad we finally have him.

On top of him, it looks like the Braves have bolstered their pitching staff somewhat close to what it was in the 90s. Although Smoltz decided to leave the Braves - a shock to say the least - he has been replaced by Derek Lowe. I hate to say it, but at this point in Smoltz's career, Lowe is an upgrade. Combined with Tim Hudson, Jair Jurrjens, Javier Vazquez, Mike Gonzales and Rafael Soriano, this is a pretty solid staff. So maybe, just maybe, the Braves will have a shot at the playoffs again.

No comments: