Friday, September 25, 2009

All I wanted was a hotdog...

Friday night at the Russell County vs. Central football game, from about the second quarter on, there was only one thing I could consistently think of: food. I didn’t get to eat much before the game and I ate an early lunch.

So you might say, ‘Why didn’t you get something to eat at halftime?’ Well, I was covering the game for The Citizen and halftime is when we tally up all the yards and statistics and think about what happened during the first half. There really isn’t much time to trek down to the concession stand, wait in line and get back in time to be ready to cover the second half, especially if you’re recording each play.

Anyway, when the game was over, I did my best to hurry up and catch Coach Rico White for an interview while continuing to take pictures, which is what I was doing this particular game. As soon as I was finished, I headed over to the concession stand and was relieved to find that there were still people inside and I was even more pleased that there was a big tray filled to the brim with hotdogs.

It was most definitely a sight for hungry eyes.

So I walked up and told the ladies inside I would like to purchase a hotdog please. This is where they crushed me. They replied that they are no longer selling food. I was stunned.

What, then, is the tray FULL of hotdogs doing sitting there? I made sure I heard them correctly and asked for clarification, “There’s nothing left for sale,” while staring at the dogs. They said that’s right, and said they were sorry.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Last time I checked, the Russell County school system was not exactly rich, to put it nicely. Now I’m not sure exactly where the concession money goes, but if it’s to the athletics department, kids on the varsity football team have to wear jerseys that are so old that the numbers don’t all even look the same. Some of the helmets don’t even have team decals on both sides, meaning that inevitably, some kids probably don’t even have a helmet of their own, but rather have to share with other reserves. Are you telling me THEY don’t want my money? Or that THEY couldn’t use it?

Or maybe the money goes into the school system’s general fund. Or maybe it just goes to the Athletic Booster Club. My point is that the money surely goes somewhere to help the students in some way.

All this and they can’t sell me one of the 50 hotdogs that were left?! I don’t get it. Was it a function of selfishness? Did the ladies inside want to take them home to their family? Or did they want them for themselves? I don’t understand. Or maybe they were saving them for the football players. But isn’t the whole point of the concession stand to SELL food and drinks? Isn’t that why they cooked the food in the first place? If not, then I would certainly like to know what it’s there for.

The school system is in proration and they can’t sell me a freakin hotdog. Not to mention that I probably would have bought three. I know it’s only three dollars (I think), but I’d be willing to bet that I’m not the only person this has happened to.

Whatever. Explain it to the kid who’s only got a decal on one side of his helmet.

No comments: