Friday, March 13, 2009

The Marshall Plan

I stole this directly from Philip Marshall at AuburnUndercover.com... It sounds like a great idea for a change to the NCAA tournament:

The Marshall Plan

View Small TextView Normal TextView Large TextView Extra Large TextPrinter-Friendly Article

By Phillip Marshall, Senior Writer
Posted Mar 12, 2009
Copyright © 2009 AuburnUndercover.com


News Image

Is it time for a change in the NCAA Tournament? I say it is, and I didn’t just start saying that this season.

And I have a plan. Call it the Marshall Plan.

I think the mid-majors are a very important of the tournament. Some of the more memorable moments in tournament history have come from relatively unknown teams knocking of highly seeded powerhouses. I would not advocate taking them out of the picture.

What I would do is have 96 teams in the field. I would give the top eight seeds in each region first-round byes. The remaining 64 teams would play on the home courts of the higher seeds. When that was done, you’d have 64 teams left.

Bottom line: You’d be adding one day to the tournament, creating even more excitement, you wouldn’t leave out major conference teams that clearly have the potential to win games and even more mid-major teams would get in.

No comments: